Skip to main content

Let’s Talk Mental Health: Living with Bipolar, Anxiety, and OCD



Let’s Talk Mental Health: Living with Bipolar, Anxiety, and OCD


This post is close to my heart—and honestly, a little hard to write.

Not because I’m ashamed… but because mental health is often misunderstood, especially when you live with multiple diagnoses.


I live with Bipolar Disorder, Anxiety, and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD). And while those labels don’t define me, they do shape my daily experience in ways you might not see from the outside.


Today, I want to open up about what that really looks like—and what’s helped me manage, heal, and grow.


πŸ’¬ “You don’t look bipolar.”


I’ve heard this more than once.


Mental health doesn’t always “look” like anything in particular.

It can wear a smile. It can show up to work.

It can post on Instagram and cuddle dogs and keep it all together… until it doesn’t.


πŸŒ— Living with Bipolar Disorder


Bipolar is more than just “ups and downs.”


For me, it looks like:

• Manic energy that leads to sleepless nights and impulsive decisions

• Depressive lows where even brushing my hair feels impossible

• Constant work to stay balanced—emotionally, chemically, and mentally


I work closely with my psychiatrist, and I take my medication consistently. That’s not weakness. That’s self-awareness and strength.


😰 Managing Anxiety


Anxiety is the voice in my head that never stops talking.


It overanalyzes everything.

It creates stories that aren’t true.

It makes small problems feel like emergencies.


But I’ve learned how to talk back to it—with breathing techniques, movement, journaling, and CBD support that helps calm the storm without numbing me out.


πŸ” Living with OCD


OCD isn’t just about being “neat” or “a perfectionist.”

It’s persistent, intrusive thoughts that don’t let up.

It’s rituals, checking, cycles, and mental loops that can be exhausting.


For me, it’s tied to anxiety—and managing one helps me manage the other.


🌿 How I Support My Mental Health Now


I’ve had to learn how to care for my mind just like I care for my body. Here’s what’s helped me the most:


✅ Medication + professional support

I work with a psychiatrist who understands my full picture—and we adjust as needed.


✅ CBD

Green Compass CBD has helped me find more calm, less racing thoughts, and more presence.

It’s been a game-changer for my nervous system and sleep cycles.


✅ Daily movement

Working out isn’t just about weight loss—it’s about mental reset. Even 10 minutes helps.


✅ Routines + structure

Predictability soothes my nervous system. I use gentle routines that give my brain what it needs.


✅ Mindset + grace

I’ve stopped expecting perfection from myself. And that has made all the difference.


πŸ’› To Anyone Else Living with Mental Health Challenges…


You are not broken.

You are not too much.

You are not weak.


You are learning how to carry something heavy—and that deserves so much more compassion than judgment.


This space—Waiting 4 Sunshine—isn’t just about hair and weight loss and pet wellness.


It’s about healing—mentally, emotionally, physically.

It’s about creating room for honesty, vulnerability, and hope.


Thank you for being here with me.


 For more tips on hair recovery, holistic wellness, mental health, fitness, and pet care, explore more at Waiting 4 Sunshine. πŸŒΏπŸ’›

I share real-life wins, wellness tools, and supportive resources to help you (and your pets!) feel your best—inside and out.

Let’s stay connected—come follow the journey on Instagram @waiting.4.sunshine and join a community where healing, hope, and heart are always welcome. πŸ’š

With strength and softness,

Heather

Waiting 4 Sunshine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saturday 9: Good Morning, Heartache

Trying another new thing called Saturday 9, it can be found here:  http://samanthasaturday9.blogspot.com 1) Do you come up with your brightest ideas early in the morning or late at night?   I would say that I am most creative later in the evenings 2) Are you more likely to feel romantic at night or in the morning?  Depends on the day :-), but usually at night 3) Do you shower in the morning, after work or before bed?   I shower in the mornings, it helps wake me up 4) Billie Holiday was just 44 when she died. Is there an artist whose early demise surprised and saddened you?   Not an artist but Heath Ledger's death really shocked me and took me by surprise.  He is one of my all time favorite actors. 5) Billie was known as "Lady Day." Do you have a cool nickname? (If not, feel free to give yourself one right now.)   No cool nicknames, as a kid I was "Woodie or Fruitcake".....don't ask LOL 6) When was the last time you had the blues?   ...

Who Are you?

Sunday stealing  Who Are you? Part 7 – It is Over!  Part 7: Self Image 84. Describe the routine of a normal day for you:   I wake up at 6:00am, take a shower, get ready for the day, then I go downstairs and feed the critters, and make breakfast for hubby and I.  We usually leave the house by about 7:30ish and I drop my husband off at work.  Then I work (I'm a Pet Groomer) until about 3:30 or 4:00ish then I leave for home and go get my hubby from work.  Then I come home and make dinner, feed the critters, work on cleaning the house a little and we usually head to bed about 8:30ish or 9:00. 85. What is your greatest strength as a person?   I am a very compassionate and have a big heart 86. What is your greatest weakness?   Interrupting people when they are talking 87. Are you going to run for President in 2016?   Nope, I don't care about politics all that much 88. Are you generally self-contained? No, I do like to talk, except t...

New Glowing Facial Routine

So one of the lovely side effects of being pregnant is major acne breakouts.....UGH!  So I did a lot of research and have started a new facial routine.  I have noticed a huge difference in my face so far, I've been doing this for about 2 weeks now.  I had really dry peeling skin on my forehead and nose and it's gone now.  I found all of these recipes on Pinterest/Google AM (Done in the following order) 1- Honey/Baking Soda Scrub 2-  ACV Toner/Astringent, let air dry for a minute or two 3- Acne Spot Treatment/Metronidazole Cream on trouble spots 4-  Grapeseed Oil Moisturizer PM: 1-  Oil/Witch Hazel Makeup remover 2-  Honey/Baking Soda Scrub 3-  ACV Toner/Astringent let air dry for a minute or two 4-  Acne Spot Treatment/Metronidazole Cream on Trouble Spots 5-  Oil of Olay Wrinkle Cream (I can't use oils at night because I wear a CPAP mask Recipes: 1-  Honey/Baking Soda Scrub 1 teaspoonish Hone...