Skip to main content

๐Ÿถ The Connection Between Gut Health & Behavior in Dogs


If your pup has been acting a little off lately—extra anxious, restless, or just not themselves—you might be surprised to learn that the root of the problem could be… their gut. ๐Ÿฆ 


Yes, gut health and behavior are deeply connected—not just in humans, but in our pets too. And as a pet wellness advocate (and dog mom to two very sassy Yorkies!), I’ve seen this connection firsthand.


๐Ÿง  Why Gut Health Impacts Behavior


Your dog’s gut isn’t just where digestion happens—it’s home to their gut microbiome, a complex system of bacteria that affects everything from nutrient absorption to immune function to mood.


In fact, up to 90% of serotonin (the “feel-good” hormone) is produced in the gut—even in dogs. When the gut is out of balance, it can lead to:

• Increased anxiety or nervousness

• Reactivity or aggression

• Restlessness or hyperactivity

• Poor sleep or pacing at night

• Compulsive licking or chewing

• Trouble focusing or training


Sound familiar?


๐Ÿพ How I Support My Dogs’ Gut Health


Supporting Gabby and Maci’s digestion has made a world of difference—not just in their poop quality (yes, we went there ๐Ÿ˜…), but in their mood, behavior, and overall wellness.


Here’s what we do daily:


✅ PawTree Gastro Pro Plus – A probiotic + prebiotic + enzyme blend that supports gut health, digestion, and immune function.

✅ Real food + quality kibble – Homemade meals paired with PawTree’s Chicken & Oatmeal dry food keeps their bellies happy.

✅ Plenty of water – Hydration is key to keeping digestion smooth and gentle.

✅ Consistent routine – Just like people, dogs thrive on predictability and structure.


✨ What We’ve Noticed


Since prioritizing their gut health, I’ve seen:

• Less nervous energy

• Calmer behavior during grooming and car rides

• Improved focus during training

• Better stool quality (hello, firmer poops!)

• Happier, more relaxed pups overall


The change didn’t happen overnight, but it’s been SO worth it.


๐Ÿ’ฌ How to Know If Your Dog Might Need Gut Support


Look for signs like:

• Loose or inconsistent stools

• Constant licking or paw chewing

• High reactivity or unexplained aggression

• Frequent ear infections or skin issues

• Sudden behavior changes


If any of these sound familiar, I’d love to help you explore some gentle, natural solutions. ๐ŸŒฟ


Your dog’s behavior isn’t just about training—it might start with their tummy.

And when we support them from the inside out, everyone in the house feels the difference.

For more tips on hair recovery, holistic wellness, mental health, fitness, and pet care, explore more at Waiting 4 Sunshine. ๐ŸŒฟ๐Ÿ’›

I share real-life wins, wellness tools, and supportive resources to help you (and your pets!) feel your best—inside and out.

Let’s stay connected—come follow the journey on Instagram @waiting.4.sunshine and join a community where healing, hope, and heart are always welcome.

With love & wellness,

Heather

Waiting 4 Sunshine | Setareh Yorkies | The Wellness Den

๐Ÿพ Want to learn more about our favorite gut health support?

Send me a DM @waiting.4.sunshine or @setarehyorkies—I’m always happy to help.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saturday 9: Good Morning, Heartache

Trying another new thing called Saturday 9, it can be found here:  http://samanthasaturday9.blogspot.com 1) Do you come up with your brightest ideas early in the morning or late at night?   I would say that I am most creative later in the evenings 2) Are you more likely to feel romantic at night or in the morning?  Depends on the day :-), but usually at night 3) Do you shower in the morning, after work or before bed?   I shower in the mornings, it helps wake me up 4) Billie Holiday was just 44 when she died. Is there an artist whose early demise surprised and saddened you?   Not an artist but Heath Ledger's death really shocked me and took me by surprise.  He is one of my all time favorite actors. 5) Billie was known as "Lady Day." Do you have a cool nickname? (If not, feel free to give yourself one right now.)   No cool nicknames, as a kid I was "Woodie or Fruitcake".....don't ask LOL 6) When was the last time you had the blues?   ...

Who Are you?

Sunday stealing  Who Are you? Part 7 – It is Over!  Part 7: Self Image 84. Describe the routine of a normal day for you:   I wake up at 6:00am, take a shower, get ready for the day, then I go downstairs and feed the critters, and make breakfast for hubby and I.  We usually leave the house by about 7:30ish and I drop my husband off at work.  Then I work (I'm a Pet Groomer) until about 3:30 or 4:00ish then I leave for home and go get my hubby from work.  Then I come home and make dinner, feed the critters, work on cleaning the house a little and we usually head to bed about 8:30ish or 9:00. 85. What is your greatest strength as a person?   I am a very compassionate and have a big heart 86. What is your greatest weakness?   Interrupting people when they are talking 87. Are you going to run for President in 2016?   Nope, I don't care about politics all that much 88. Are you generally self-contained? No, I do like to talk, except t...

New Glowing Facial Routine

So one of the lovely side effects of being pregnant is major acne breakouts.....UGH!  So I did a lot of research and have started a new facial routine.  I have noticed a huge difference in my face so far, I've been doing this for about 2 weeks now.  I had really dry peeling skin on my forehead and nose and it's gone now.  I found all of these recipes on Pinterest/Google AM (Done in the following order) 1- Honey/Baking Soda Scrub 2-  ACV Toner/Astringent, let air dry for a minute or two 3- Acne Spot Treatment/Metronidazole Cream on trouble spots 4-  Grapeseed Oil Moisturizer PM: 1-  Oil/Witch Hazel Makeup remover 2-  Honey/Baking Soda Scrub 3-  ACV Toner/Astringent let air dry for a minute or two 4-  Acne Spot Treatment/Metronidazole Cream on Trouble Spots 5-  Oil of Olay Wrinkle Cream (I can't use oils at night because I wear a CPAP mask Recipes: 1-  Honey/Baking Soda Scrub 1 teaspoonish Hone...